\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,437,247
  • Today: 3,056
Server InfoServer Info
  • Apr 28, 2024
  • 07:26 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
norm
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I pulled an Enfield out of a shed yesterday that I know hasn't moved for at least 4 years, wiped some dust off it opened the decomp, kicked it over a dozen or so times, closed the decomp, kicked it and it fired straight up. Fuel is at least 4 years old. We must have different fuel to over where you blokes are

sonicrete
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Someone can tell you that gasoline with alcohol is no different. I disagree. That stuff is junk. Real gasoline has a much better life.

I was drag racing in Super Gas,which requires running right on 9.900 as close as you can get. The bike set over the winter with the Cam-2 in it. I had a slight amount left in the can,so dumped it in the bike. The guy that was going with me wanted VP C-14 so to avoid multiple cans got fresh fuel and needed it empty. It should be OK since was rated same as Cam-2 Standard Leaded.

First pass with the old gasoline ran right on the index. So was now out of fuel and for the next pass put the VP in it. It was real slow like 10.30 and this was full all the way out so should have ran quicker than the index. Now was in a quandry since would get beat the next day being that slow. With the Cam-2 I could leave it in the staging lanes,but maybe the hot sun was affecting it. Did all I could to keep it in the shade and ran OK but no fire breather.

Normally would use up the rest of the gasoline in the lawn mower and would pull through heavy grass much better. So dumped the C-14 in it and it missed like mad. Adjusted mixure and got a rich miss or lean miss. Finally dumped the fuel out and was about 2X the Cam-2 cost.

Needless to say after using Cam-2 for like 15 years and no problems my first use of Vulture Piss was not a fan.

Shawn_Mc
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

My CRF450 has sat for a year without being fired. Yesterday i turned on the gas, open the choke and it fired on the third kick. Thats on shit pump gas. It really depends on whether or not the jets have been steeping in the fuel for X amount of years.

Simply draining the float bowls can save hours and hours of work.

Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shawn_Mc wrote:
My CRF450 has sat for a year without being fired. Yesterday i turned on the gas, open the choke and it fired on the third kick. Thats on shit pump gas. It really depends on whether or not the jets have been steeping in the fuel for X amount of years.

Mine won't start after a week! Not the fuel's fault though, just can't kick like I used to and the elec starter is semi-worthless.

Draining float bowls is the trick, but, that ethanol crap makes me angry. (I have a Ducati with the ethanol hating fuel tank...have replaced 2)

Jebbysan
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

norm wrote:
I pulled an Enfield out of a shed yesterday that I know hasn't moved for at least 4 years, wiped some dust off it opened the decomp, kicked it over a dozen or so times, closed the decomp, kicked it and it fired straight up. Fuel is at least 4 years old. We must have different fuel to over where you blokes are

I doubt it......a Royal Enfield has like 6:1 compression....it will run on just about anything! Laughing

Jebby

1982 Z/28
2011 Silverado Crew Cab

"I don't do T and A...because I don't have much of either" Tea Leoni 
Jebbysan
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shawn_Mc wrote:

I drained my float bowls on the CBX last summer....and when I went to fire it again this year it was fine..... Wink
A little Techron in the fuel after you first fire it doesn't hurt either.....

Jebby

1982 Z/28
2011 Silverado Crew Cab

DOHCRob
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jebbysan wrote:
I doubt it......a Royal Enfield has like 6:1 compression....it will run on just about anything! Laughing

Jebby

...and here I always thought, these multi-fuel military engines had a real high compression in order to overcome the resistance of the particular fuel used to ignite. Confused Confused

Jebbysan
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well...check it out:

http://www.epfguzzi.com/4bullets/models/specs.html

Jebby

1982 Z/28
2011 Silverado Crew Cab

DOHCRob
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jebbysan wrote:
Well...check it out:

http://www.epfguzzi.com/4bullets/models/specs.html

Jebby

No, Jeb, I am not questioning the low compression of the Enfield.
I am not sure about the part that a low compression engine will "run on anything". Confused Confused

norm
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jebby, you are being a bit rude, this is one of those new fangled lean burns that produces 17.0kw @5000rpm and gives 31 kpl under EEC conditions. A combination made possible through the state of art engine technology application, or so the book says. Having said that my spare F sat for 2 years and started straight up and I hadn't drained the fuel bowls or touched anything else

krgood0
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Norm I expect Jebby thought your Enfield was an ancient one from the 1950's that would run on kerosene, my local bike shop is a dealer for the modern Royal Enfields that are now made in India and they have bought them into the 20th Century,they are now far better than the British made ones from the 50's

Keith

Jebbysan
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

krgood0 wrote:
Hi Norm I expect Jebby thought your Enfield was an ancient one from the 1950's that would run on kerosene, my local bike shop is a dealer for the modern Royal Enfields that are now made in India and they have bought them into the 20th Century,they are now far better than the British made ones from the 50's

Keith

Exactly...and being ribbed is a part of being here.... Rolling Eyes
Take it how you want it....

Jebby

1982 Z/28
2011 Silverado Crew Cab

norm
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have old ones as well, even got an Interceptor that Enfield brought out to go up agains't the first of the Honda fours. Pretty sure I know who won that argument. As for the new ones being better, does being able to sit on 110kph make them much better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic