\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,635,773
  • Today: 18,681
Server InfoServer Info
  • May 02, 2024
  • 07:09 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't been to the steering nut probably 30 years, so no, I'm sorry I don't remember. The fiche (parts diagram) probably lists the size though, but likely not the actual hex size. Come to think of it, I likely used an 18" Crescent wrench on it. If you have the nut off, it's easy enough to put a caliper on it though. Sometimes I just take a trip to the cheap tool store with the nut, and buy a cheap socket... good enough for this job.

We don\'t see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

Last edited by genesound on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Brutalcafe
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I tried fits between the triple clamp mount but no clearance at all to loosen. thanks anyway . The nut is on the stem still on the bike

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Try a caliper then and make a trip to the cheap tool store for a socket.

I can't remember because I used to use my friend's tools for the rare stuff I didn't have, as he's been a bike wrencher for over 40 years and has everything. Unfortunately he doesn't live near me anymore.

we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

DonR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Stock nut on my CB900FB is 30mm

Brutalcafe
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks donr will pick up a socket today and some wire to run my ignition switch back under the tank by the seat thanks

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Might not be the same size on a 900C , totally different bike, frame etc.

we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

pidjones
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Went to the Honda dealer and picked up a box of busted ABS fairing (GL1800 gen2). Started cutting it up to build a piece to fill in the bottom of the seat cowl. Got most of the pieces cut out and one bent. Will start gluing it up tomorrow. Glued a tab on already to replace one that was disintegrated. Cutting with one of those cast saw multi tools, works smooth. I'll glue it all up with ABS cement and reinforce a little with fiberglass cloth.

Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nice find!

My Mods Page 
Brutalcafe
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

.i'm going to assume many parts like that will fit from other models and different years. I bet the handlebar switch plugs are pprobably the same . I picked up a 30mm I'll check tomorrow hopefully it fits it's about 25 and feels 15 lol and I was working on that sucker outside .in the backyard lol I'm going to also run custom handlebar switches. those clunky things are so gone like the fuse box lol 3 button switches on each handlebar. Not the 800$ switches. cuz I can wire them myself and I'm going to make them plug n play like the speedo

I also found where I'm going to mount my ignition switch I'm going to wire that up tomorrow I have to extend the wires to relocate it behind a side cover with just the barrel sticking out .I had the spare I replaced. was perfect for the mockup . Also made a small pan for my rear bus terminal to sit on so no underspray plus got some liquid tape in a can for electric connections perfeccct

Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Brutal, interesting build you have going on. You're doing enough to it, I think it might warrant it's own thread.

My Mods Page 
Brutalcafe
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks techie would be nice to put all these into 1 i'f a moderator can do it... thanks again... it's funny cuz i started out doing a ss brake install with a new mc . And i ended up doing the triple the fuse box a small tray lol. The lines and mc haven't even gone on yet smh I luv it. It's to damn cold to ride these days. Even with heated gear. so I bit the bullet and got to it. Saturday nice weather. monday forward also .I had a nice lil thread going over at the 750 site .but i guess my question asking wasnt warranted by a few moderators .so here we are Laughing techie I removed that towering doofy looking reservoir man she looks clean .I got a hayabusa 14-16 mc 27 $ mint. I have clip ons so it's perfect has the slant on the reservoir for the clip on angle. The red is going away too. Calipers went satin black the head will go gloss black wheels 2. Getting a stock F tank I need gas. Gonna paint my tank maybe red with a few accent colors. My nuts n bolts are gonna get blue oxided. A floating rear fender imma cut a front one up held up by welded rods to the fender. Front one will go stock location but trimmed down

Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can't take all the credit for this one in that a couple of others (including myself) contributed (for better or worse) but here it is..

I have had a weird run of three carb racks with difficult #3 bodies (one had a pilot needle tip broken in it, another had the pilot needle boss completely broken in half and missing, and this one with the primary emulsion tube stuck). I pretty much accepted this #3 body was trash after an extractor broke off in it trying to remove it. Tossed it to a buddy figuring I had nothing to loose and he managed to bore out the ID without messing up the threads. I was then able to pick and fold the tube out of the body. I need to ultrasonic the body again and make sure there isn't any more funny business but it looks pretty damn good. You would think #1 bodies would be the worst since they get all the gunk first. Just my luck I guess.

Fitter
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now that my garage is heated (Spring has arrived in Ottawa) ....

Installed a SuperTrapp I got from SillyGoose a year or so back.
Then later in the week I headed south where DocOld's and I had a breakfast on the New York side of the border and in the parking lot he gifted me some 900F forks. One of mine was leaking even after two seals were replaced so A big shout out to Doc!

I refinished them and Karl came over to supervise their installation.
This was followed by new Coils and a steering damper.

Went for a ride and of course once the engine was hot my battery did not have the juice to turn it over so it's off to the battery store this week to pick up a Deka ETX15L.

SteveG
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just like up north in Ottawa, spring has FINALLY arrived. The only bike I have started so far this year has been my V-Strom, and that was only out of necessity because my car was down for the count. And then I promptly got rained on. Cold rain. Ugh. So today was nice, about 52 degrees (11 for the rest of the world), and I broke out the 750(810). Battery fresh off the charger, all lights work, no gas dripping from previously drained carbs, hit starter button and POP. Nothing. Hmmmm. Pull battery back out, only 10.7 volts and swelled sides. Grab battery for the 900(985), put in 750(810), and voila!, combustion. Phew!! Also fired up my wife's Ninja 500. Went for short rides on each, so all is well with the world! And ordered up new battery that will go into the 900(985).

Let's Ride!! (Finally!!!)

Steve

MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

- solved the 'leaking fuel tap' ... It was a fuel hose clip that was too big and let fuel escape. Swapped it for a smaller one and no leaks, tap is fine , so one mystery solved.
- Got it running and riding- is it a record to have three out of four new spark plugs faulty? They ran for a while last year whilst I was trying to get her sorted. Then reverted to one working cylinder...I assumed it was carbs being blocked so was facing they pain of getting them off to clean. Luckily , time taken to reflect and have a beer is time well spent...and I swopped the working plug round and found the fault was the plugs. A quick swop with the full set from my CB650 and everything was working.
- Went for a ride ..and realised that 15 psi doesn't make for good handling..Pumped up the tyres...

Fitter
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

andy120t wrote:

- Went for a ride ..and realised that 15 psi doesn't make for good handling..Pumped up the tyres...

Been there, done that! Laughing

Fitter
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I met Joe! He owns a 750F right here in Ottawa. We went for a ride in Quebec and took a ferry home.

Was a great day here Smile

jacksondee
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fixed 80-120 jet drilling issues. She purrs like a kitten with pods now...

Turns out I was running 80-100, I had drilled the stock 68s to 80, but didn't drill the stock 100s to 120 years ago. I was about to give up on pods, but opened up the carb today and started from scratch and realized my mistake.

Went for a ride with 80-120 and all is good now.

I put the throttle cables back on in a rush and need the bike to cool off before I go take the tank off again and adjust the cables properly...

Lindy
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

this is what I did

techie66
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

You gotta love that new color on Brent's tool. For some weird reason it makes me smile every time.

My Mods Page 
swiftnick
Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ive been giving my 900 what I all a total love fest in readiness for the NE spring ride. Valve clearance, cam chains, oil & filter, air filter, fork oil, brake fluid, clean and lube chain etc. I was checking the tires and they have a good amount of tread left, however the date codes showed them to be 12 and 13 years old! Close inspection found the starting of little cracks. So a new set of BT45's ordered and today I fitted the rear. Front tomorrow. This is the problem when I only put between two to five hundred miles a year on her. The tires die of old age long before they wear out.

2012 ST1300
1982 CX500 Turbo
1991 FJ1200
1976 CB750 Super Sport
1986 VFR750F
1985 VF1000R 
1100russ
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

swiftnick wrote:
Ive been giving my 900 what I all a total love fest in readiness for the NE spring ride. Valve clearance, cam chains, oil & filter, air filter, fork oil, brake fluid, clean and lube chain etc. I was checking the tires and they have a good amount of tread left, however the date codes showed them to be 12 and 13 years old! Close inspection found the starting of little cracks. So a new set of BT45's ordered and today I fitted the rear. Front tomorrow. This is the problem when I only put between two to five hundred miles a year on her. The tires die of old age long before they wear out.

Only one cure for that........

XR100 Teaching Bike
Ducati 750 SS Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
SteveG
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

1100russ wrote:
swiftnick wrote:

Only one cure for that........

And that is to ride it like you stole it!!

Steve

Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

SteveG wrote:

Only one cure for that........[/quote]

And that is to ride it like you stole it!!

Steve[/quote]

Too many bikes and not enough time. First world problem.

2012 ST1300
1982 CX500 Turbo
1991 FJ1200
1976 CB750 Super Sport
1986 VFR750F
1985 VF1000R 
Hango
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Got the cbx saddlebags back from paint, the mounts are cut and welded very nice

flyinelvis
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Very nice John, er, Jim...

Simon_CB900
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been working a lot of overtime during the British lockdown due to Covid, so I've been spending the extra money wisely Very Happy

I got my tank painted at last, so it matches the rest of the painted parts Very Happy

I bought an R6 starter clutch from Cary (still to be fitted).

New EBC front brake discs and HH pads (still to be fitted).
These are floating discs but EBC insist they are the correct discs for my bike. EBC's part number MD1036RS.

I've replaced an iffy wire in my home made wiring system.
I can't get light blue for the right hand indicator, so I had just just trimmed the original wire, re-terminated and refitted it.
The right side indicators stopped working last year, so I've put a new blue with orange tracer wire in instead. I've refitted my wiring system after changing that wire.
Still needs to be checked to make sure everything still works, indicators hooked up the right way round not crossed over, etc.

I've also checked every terminal on my wiring system, to make sure everything still connects up properly and in an effort to find out the reason for my reg/rec burning out.
Everything checked out good, so it isn't my wiring system Smile Which means the fault is somewhere else and I don't know where Sad
When the AA man arrived to try and fix my problem, he'd been on youtube and he went through all the checks, which confirmed my reg/rec was out.
Alternator output was good, everything checked out good except my reg/rec. It was a new reg/rec from Honda so...
The only thing I haven't yet checked is charging voltage at revs. But if that keeps climbing, not flat-lining at around 14 - 15 volts, that means the regulator part isn't regulating. Which probably caused my reg/rec to burn out. What causes that problem?
I've checked all the ground connections to my frame and to the battery terminal end of the ground wire to my battery. All good, so it isn't a bad ground connection.
I've just this second realised, I didn't check the ground connection from reg/rec body to battery terminal connection AND I got my frame powder coated Rolling Eyes , so that's a possibility.

\'81 CB 750/900 mongrel Smile 
robbo
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

The other day I was cleaning the outside of my CR33’s with a brush, a rag and some WD40. Worked good. Time for a ride.

Somehow got distracted from my pedantic routine, and forgot to put the side stand down when getting ready to take her off the paddock stand. Of course I noticed when it was too late to catch it. She glanced off my 2020 Z900 RS 🤬 and assumed the resting position on her left side. Wife wasn’t too far away and she helped me lift it.

Somehow, maybe because I’m 57 and have had many worse things happen to me, I stayed calm throughout the whole episode. Wifey more concerned than I was, as she was just talking to me before the event and was concerned she may have distracted me. I, of course, insisted that was not the case as I firmly believe you must manage distractions in your life - your responsibility. Besides, where would it get me?😉

Anyway, I got off lucky. Damage report:

CB11F:
- small concrete rash on the bottom bevel of the ignition cover
- left handlebar moved back a bit, fixed with Allen key adjustment
- left bar end mirror out of adjustment, and small scratch - already touched up
- small scratch on clutch lever - already touched up
- somehow the instrument plate got all twisted (I think thx113 is helping me out with a NOS part)

Z900:
- 2 blemishes that I might be able to polish out. One on the right frame and one on the clutch cover
- 1 fin has small scrape that is hardly noticeable

I think the fact that the Z was on an Anderson paddock stand with castors helped as I think it rolled away as the CB was gracefully plummeting to terra firma!

And I managed to get a nice ride in on the 1100F anyway!

chico
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Could have been much worse, I bet you won't do that again. Lesson learned. beerchug

Chico

2000 Harley Fatboy
2005 Softail Deluxe
´07 Yamaha FZ traded
'17Triumph Tiger 800
'17 Triumph Bobber
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around 
DonR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lindy wrote:
this is what I did

I drilled and tapped an M6 hole in the rotor bolt so that I can use a degree wheel without disturbing the rotor bolt. Just a thought.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic