\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,599,854
  • Today: 55,021
Server InfoServer Info
  • May 01, 2024
  • 06:31 pm PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
Craigside_Pete
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

NorCal's view isn't unique and as already mentioned - Mr Ferrari and Honda didn't have a qualm about destroying works of art when they considered them "surplus" to racing life. His wish and I feel sure his family would respect that wish.
I do think about the day when the fun of the open road will be denied : remember seeing one of these "I'm selling my car" fly on the wall shows about this old chap selling his 30's Invicta (or some such - this was mid 90's...) because his eye sight had gone and he was stopping driving - when they said the owners name I recognised it as a reasonably well known (pre -war to 50's) British racing driver - made me just a bit sad.... buggered if i can remember the chaps name now!!! [made me really mad they didn't do more about the bloke but guess then they wouldn'y have time for dros about young mums not selling their econobox for unrealistic money they think they should get 'cos they sprayed it pink and put a barbie sticker on the front - that's the real sadness: by the time we are getting out of these 80's UJM's will anyone really appreceate them or will they be about as useable as a Vincent or a Brough?]

genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mr Ferrari and Mr Honda didn't butcher up anybody else's stuff, they totally owned it all from the entire design to the end of every piece of it. I don't necessarily totally agree with that either, but it does at least give them total dominion over whatever happens to their cast offs for reasons other than ego and arrogance. That's very different than destroying an already cut up bike of someone else's design.... or so.... We just remake other's stuff in the first place, it's pretty hard to lay absolute claim to it.

We don\'t see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

Tory
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I imagine I will sell the goldwing,but I look forward to seeing my boys enjoy the other bikes when the time is right.
They appreciate them for what they are and understand the history there so I dont believe they willl change much.
Yes,even the hacked up CAFE of a 500K.

82 CB900F
92 FJ1200 
Craigside_Pete
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

genesound wrote:
Mr Ferrari and Mr Honda didn't butcher up anybody else's stuff, they totally owned it all from the entire design to the end of every piece of it.

A fine point, but not quite - that's why the Lancia D50's that the Scuderia inherited when Lancia pulled out of GP racing had to be re-created - he didn't design them or build them though they did get modified quite a bit - and when he wsa done they were broken up for parts and the frames scrapped - thankfully some key castings survived and, well - what man has made can be made again Very Happy

79cb750f
Rest in Peace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

My nephew knows what my ELR is worth, its place in history and knows what to do with it.

genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Craigside_Pete wrote:
genesound wrote:
Mr Ferrari and Mr Honda didn't butcher up anybody else's stuff, they totally owned it all from the entire design to the end of every piece of it.

A fine point, but not quite - that's why the Lancia D50's that the Scuderia inherited when Lancia pulled out of GP racing had to be re-created - he didn't design them or build them though they did get modified quite a bit - and when he wsa done they were broken up for parts and the frames scrapped - thankfully some key castings survived and, well - what man has made can be made again Very Happy

Well... not to really belabor this and wish to show poorly on anyone, but show me the power plant any of us here has made from scratch. Ferrari and Honda built a bunch of their own different designs, some better than others, so one was pinched, BFD, they're in a different league entirely, apples and oranges Razz

we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

CBFMuscle
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

How has this gotten so far ?? Very Happy I am young I will ride the shit out of my bikes, take the wife on rides, make the twisties afraid and will probably sell the curent ones and buy/ build something else. I learned A lot working on my first project a 1978 cb550k that I got for free and it ran ! then I cut in half and made it a bobber, Then I sold it, bought an F bike. buy build sell buy build sell = never ending cycle . Enjoy it while ya can.

I always say to ride "Causiously agressive"

Jebbysan
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

genesound wrote:
Mr Ferrari and Mr Honda didn't butcher up anybody else's stuff, they totally owned it all from the entire design to the end of every piece of it. I don't necessarily totally agree with that either, but it does at least give them total dominion over whatever happens to their cast offs for reasons other than ego and arrogance. That's very different than destroying an already cut up bike of someone else's design.... or so.... We just remake other's stuff in the first place, it's pretty hard to lay absolute claim to it.

Gene...I could almost hug you for this post.....and I thought I put thought into words well.

Prolific.

Jebby

1982 Z/28
2011 Silverado Crew Cab

"I don't do T and A...because I don't have much of either" Tea Leoni 
genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for that. Wink

we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

NorCalSuperF
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting takes on the topic, I probably should have kept these plans to myself, just curious about others thoughts though.

Pass them on? Obvious assumption! More info on that, my sons have stated really no future interest in adopting my long affair with bikes and especially pavement riding. Got them into BMX racing when they were young and they won several dresser tops full of trophies, years of m/c dirt bikes were next and now that they're nearly through with university educations, they're desires and goals in life have changed significantly. It's tough just to get them out riding with me a couple of times each year on the dirt.

Monetatry gain from selling them? Insignificant, a few thou in todays economy, merely a couple of paychecks to them.

I've come across a couple of the old bikes I've built and sold in the past and it really bugs me to see that they were abused into piles of sh_t. Sure, the guys that I sold them to were full of talk of that they would be well cared for and maintained, even treasured. One had been crashed numerous times and nothing on it ever repaired, one-off parts that I made were discarded with abandon. The other was sitting in a bike wrecking yard in Sacramento, half-stripped of it's remains. The reason it was there? Ran it without oil and spun a rod bearing. Nice, junk it rather than fix it. The family understands where I'm coming from about this kind of stuff.

Arrogance? Apply that here, that's actually when posers post a million pics of their seemingly bitchin' stuff at every opporotunity.

I'm just ending the ownership cycle of my bikes while they are still in my possession.

NorCalSuperF

Last edited by NorCalSuperF on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total 
genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well they are certainly yours to do with as you see fit, no matter what.

I just can't see caring one way or the other about any possessions once they are no longer mine, or I am done with them or whatever.

we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

bill85
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Being the great 26 years old that i am, not thinking about passing it down anytime soon.....its my first bike ever and i plan it being with me till its my time to go. Now I may aquire more bikes, but for a first bike, it's badass. Don't see any around my area and gets many compliments.

Shaved_Ice
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Heaven forbid someone customize a motorcycle to fit their personal taste.

robbo
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's akin to the Egyptian kings who had their entourage entombed with them.

You can't take it with you. Hopefully, if you don't smash your bike to bits (think of all your fellow CBF'ers first - you know they will give your bike some love!) somebody else will get some enjoyment out of your bikes, in whatever way they do.

IMHO. Your mileage, obviously, may vary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic