\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 53,647,516
  • Today: 8,147
Server InfoServer Info
  • Dec 02, 2021
  • 10:02 am PST

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
X7eater
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just posted this on the CB1100F Facebook page, but for those of you who are not on Facebook, I thought I would share it here...along with a photo and a link to a video of the VJMC rally.

I think that every single post that I’ve made on this site has included photos. Well….I have no photos, but I did want to share this story with my fellow CB1100F lovers!

This past weekend I attended a Vintage Japanese Motorcycle (VJMC) rally in a small town 500km from my home in Australia. It was a lovely weekend, meeting many old friends, and making some new ones along the way. This story is not about the actual rally, but the long ride home.

You’ll have to use your imagination here…..but visualize the sun just beginning to come up on Sunday morning, the temperature was around 12c and a mist hung across the open fields.
Most of the Brisbane based riders were leaving the country hotel at 9am, but I had to get an early start, so I fired my CB1100F up at 5:45am (well, I pushed it down the road a little way, so as to not wake those who stayed up talking bikes until midnight, then fired her up!).

The meeting place for the VJMC rally, was quite literally, in the middle of ‘nowhere’, and about 2 hours ride from anywhere! As I pulled out of the little town, I reminded myself that Kangaroos and other such wildlife are most active at dust and dawn. With that thought in my mind, and the cool air ripping through my summer riding gear I set off for the 500km ride home.

Five minutes into the ride, and a Kangaroo did indeed step (or rather bounce) out to meet me, if I had been 2 seconds earlier on that road, I would have hit him at 70km/hr, and I may not have survived to write this. With that immediate scare over with, a rabbit decides to zig-zag across the road, trying it’s best to imitate the old ‘frogger’ arcade game. This now had me really worried; not another car/person/bike in view, pretty darn cold, and wild animals jumping out left, right and centre.

For the next 60 minutes I rode as carefully as I could at 50km/hr, constantly scanning the grass verge for ‘intruders’! At one point a car did pass me, and low and behold, 10 minutes later I see the red Mazda pulled over on the grass verge with the driver busily inspecting his bonnet….and a poor Kangaroo lying dead in the road. Bad news for the Kangaroo and could have been really bad news for me had I been a further few minutes up the road.

Anyway….this little story was not supposed to be about Kangaroos……and for the next few hours of riding it fortunately wasn’t. However, those riding hours between 6am and 10am were some of the most amazing I’ve ever experienced. I saw only 6 cars over those 4 hours, and road through some of the most amazing, beautiful, and natural scenery you could ever wish to see. The sun rose, the mist disappeared, and that CB1100F was running like a dream and never missing a beat. Cruising at 120km/hr, rolling off the throttle into sweeping long corners….and then rolling on the throttle to hear that gorgeous growl as those 100+bhp ponies kick into gear as we accelerated off to the next corner.

It took 9 hours to ride home, with 500+km covered, and I’ve not ridden that far in a single day since we rode across Cambodia on dirt bikes a few years back. I woke this morning with an incredible new appreciation for the CB1100F.

I’ve always loved the big 1100 Honda; I’ve owned the more modern CB1300F, and I also have a couple of Honda 750 DOHC machines, but there is something intrinsically special about that 1100F, the engine is perfectly balanced, she’s not overly powerful in the way modern bikes are. Yes…she’ll get you into a heap of trouble, but she’s very predictable, and I just love opening the throttle in 4th or 5th gear at 5,000 rpm and just feeling her take off.

I doubt I will ever forget the first four hours of that ride yesterday…..the sun rising, the mist, the Kangaroos!.....and the purr of that absolutely gorgeous machine we call the CB1100F.

VJMC bikes walkaround: https://youtu.be/rRlIQlYc6GU

CDN1100F
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Great story mate!!! Good to hear you completed that long journey safely! I love that picture of those silos, my son does wall/mural art. I'll be sure to send him that picture.

Have a great summer down-under!! We are in the last few weeks of riding up in Canada.

Cheers!
Chris

smurdoch
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nice ride report.
Some great looking bikes in the video. Quite a varied line-up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic