\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 72,900,347
  • Today: 2,210
Server InfoServer Info
  • Mar 29, 2024
  • 03:33 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
bee-jay
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Guy’s if you are a big ebayer like me, I want to share some tips that will help your searches.

I like ebay, for the most part, and have been buying and selling for almost 20 years. I’ve done well and scored some really great stuff. I even scored my 1100F on ebay. But I hate the current trend where ebay is heading.

If you didn’t know, or wondered why there is so much crap on ebay lately, they are trying to compete with Amazon and become a global online market place and less of an online auction house. This has opened the doors to many sellers with online stores from all over the world peddling their overpriced junk. I’m sure if you have searched on ebay you have seen this. I’ve especially noticed a lot more from China (naturally) Indonesia and the UK of all places. I’m seeing a lot of UK motorcycle supply stores listing items on the US ebay. Overepriced and waaaay too much money to ship here. So what’s the point? I can walk into a Dealer and pay half of what they want.

I don’t know if you ever tried, or do broad searches, i.e. “Honda CB750”. But you’ll see what I mean.

If you’re like me, sometimes I’m not searching for anything specific, I like to do broad searches and see what is new this morning or new today. It’s how you find those little gems and deals that get missed by focused searches.

The first issue is the “Fits” function for sellers. Well, they can put anything and everything in there. Which means you will get things that don’t even fit what you are searching for. And items that don’t even have CB750 in the title or text. Like a lawn mower carb that comes up in your CB750 search. Really!?

To prevent this, put parenthesis around search: i.e. (Honda CB750) this will prevent the “fits CB750” or “fits Honda” issue and really gets rid of a lot of junk. Now you will only get items that have Honda CB750 in the Title or Body.

So now we need to get rid of the sellers who list pages and pages of sprockets, cables, batteries, mirrors, grips, etc. that are overseas (or domestic for that matter) and we have no interest in over paying for stuff you can buy anywhere else cheaper.

For this we need to exclude sellers. This is a little more difficult and tedious but I will lay this out for you. Trust me, its worth it if you want to clean up your searches. If enough people start blocking sellers, maybe ebay will get the hint. Because they definitely monitor this kind of stuff.

I wish there was a way to exclude countries (i.e F’N China), but there is not. You can do just domestic (USA) searches but I don’t like to do this for fear of missing something cool from a seller in Canada, Germany or the UK, etc. I’ve bitched to ebay about this. But they don’t care. It’s more money for them.

I will do a “USA only” search for some things. One of my saved searches is Colt 1911. I’m really not interested in seeing the 10’s of thousands aftermarket grips from Taiwan, and having to scroll through pages of them. So here I will confine my search to USA only.

To Exclude Sellers: (see below for my list)

1. Use your saved search or make a new one.
2. Go to my searches. Click Edit the search on the right side of page.
3. Scroll down and on the left side of page you will see “more Refinements” right under “show Only”
4. Click more refinements and it opens a new window box. Click the seller box on the left.
5. Check the box “only show items from” and check the button “specific sellers”
6. Default is exclude, so in the box to the right enter the sellers to exclude or copy and paste my list into the box. You must place a comma between each seller if you are adding your own.
7. Click apply at the bottom right of the pop up box. This brings you back to your searched item listings. Click “save changes to your search” and “turn off email alerts” if you wish.
8. Now sometimes it saves and writes over your existing search and sometime it makes a new one. (don’t know why) So you will have to check your saved searches list and delete the old one if necessary.
9. The list below works well for motorcycle parts. And I add to it when I find a seller with too much crap posted for sale. I don’t mind one, two, or a few items, but when I have to scroll through pages of colored stainless brake lines, I get a little annoyed and will add them to my list.
10. You can make your own for your own line of searches , i.e. a “Chevrolet Camaro” search will have it’s own sellers that flood the market with junk.

Test it and post your experiences. If you have any sellers you want to add, for sure post them up!

Enjoy your clutter free search!

MY EXCLUSION LIST:

riders-resource, 0130jaybee,bikerblinglimited,urbanbikeshop,brooksbarnparts,up-the-shop, Xanadu-eight,parts_giant,motorcyclepartsandspares2016,aughacashel,wizbizltd,partsvenue,lionparts_powersports,pinkpower123,mxstuf4u,riderspoint-braunschweig,darkhorsemotorcycleparts,klasa-racing,flyncycle,allbikepartsltd,sledpartsguy,worldwide_motorcycle_equipment,5g-r4cing,2_wheels_warehouse_ltd,imighthavewhaturlooking4,performoto,kiwav,hkco3288,m.manuel03,acarmotoring,hkco3288,majsqus,crazybiker883,teammadegroup211,autopartm, goldfrenbrakepadsdirect, pinkpower123,jettscreationa,race-driven, llexeter_ltd,sixity,trumpet.tyres

pn27416
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good stuff, thanks BJ! Really going to try the in () one. I hate when hundreds of turn signals and mirrors come off for my Harley motocrosser!

genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good topic, thanks!

I hate seeing a dozen listings for the same product from the same seller under different user names. If you investigate, it's obvious it's the same seller. So you have to exclude all of them for a saved search, another PITA.

We don\'t see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

LightsOut
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Good tips!

You guys in the US still have it really good. Local sellers here in Sweden are ridiculously overpriced so Ebay is often the only option. Shipping, VAT and import duties from the US means it’s often about the same price as those overpriced UK sellers for me, even though shipping is still pretty hefty from there. A lot more stuff available from US though of course. Germany is even more expensive (except for parts for german cars, my Audi gets all its parts from Germany Smile ) although shipping sometimes a bit cheaper. Not to mention actually buying it locally, which is really ridiculous.

Whenever I click "Item location: Europe" (to avoid VAT and import) almost all the results disappear... and the price of the ones left is enough to make me cry.

Recently bought a set of intake boots for my GS - $145 for an OEM kit with boots, clamps and o-rings from the US. Not bad, right? Well, then there’s $22 shipping, 25% VAT, $15 handling fee (to make sure the 25% VAT is paid) and if I’m unlucky maybe an import fee as well. That’s suddenly a total of $218 - and it’ll be here in 6-8 weeks Wink So what about buying locally? There’s no kit available, so for just the boots (sans clamps and o-rings) that would be $255...

Buying from China has the same 25% VAT and $15 handling fee and delivery time as the US, but cheaper shipping. Mostly crap of course, but with what we pay for parts it’s often pretty tempting...

swiftnick
Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have pretty much given up perusing for stuff on E bay and only go there if I have a very defined description of what I want. The pages and pages of crap when I search CB1100R are just mind numbing. I will have to try the techniques described above and may find E bay useful again.

2012 ST1300
1982 CX500 Turbo
1991 FJ1200
1976 CB750 Super Sport
1986 VFR750F
1985 VF1000R 
genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

bee-jay wrote:
I wish there was a way to exclude countries (i.e F’N China), but there is not. You can do just domestic (USA) searches but I don’t like to do this for fear of missing something cool from a seller in Canada, Germany or the UK, etc. I’ve bitched to ebay about this. But they don’t care. It’s more money for them.

I agree. Maybe if more of us bitched about it, they'd see it as a potential loss and do something about it.

The overpriced things are the ones that I don't get, like items that are still available from the dealer, but some ebay sellers have listings for considerably higher prices. Perhaps there are just that many lazy and/or ignorant buyers that make it worthwhile.

we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

headless
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I eliminate Chinese sellers by selecting 'Used' in the Condition filter or by including NOS in the search terms.

Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you just add -fits in your search, it will get rid of a lot of stuff, i.e.: CB1100F -fits

vbrad511
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DOHCRob wrote:
If you just add -fits in your search, it will get rid of a lot of stuff, i.e.: CB1100F -fits

I use the " - " sign all the time. I was looking for a set of carbs to refurb recently, had to search for "-kit", and check the "used" box. Sure filters out the unwanted stuff. I didn't think about it for "fits". That's a great call.

genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There are numerous and unique operators and techniques for searching ebay (like many search engines):

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&q=operators+for+ebay+searches

we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

bee-jay
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DOHCRob wrote:

good tip. that works well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic