\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 51,011,859
  • Today: 2,040
Server InfoServer Info
  • Sep 19, 2021
  • 01:01 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
Simon_CB900
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Last month, Wed 21 July, while driving my wagon homewards from Switzerland to Scotland, I had a stroke.

I'd parked at a truckstop for the night a couple of hours North of Switzerland.
When I woke up in the morning, I'd slept on my arm. Not a problem, I thought, it'll be fine soon. Nope, in fact it got worse as the day went on. I realised I'd got a serious problem when I stopped for a break. After washing my hands, while shaking the water off, my right hand was lagging behind my left and it had no flip.
So my situation is, I'm in a foreign country where I don't really speak the language. I'm driving a 65 foot long big rig, loaded with around 500,000 in value of someones goods. I don't know where the hospital is (Google would know). Where can I park this thing up where it'll be safe? How will my boss get it and the load back home? How will I get back home when they release me, because if it's a stroke they won't let me drive? I don't actually feel ill at all, I'll just keep going. So I did, to the overnight ferry from Holland to North England. My arm was getting worse as the day progressed, by mid afternoon I would lift my hand out of my lap and hook my fingers in the steering wheel spoke, but 5 minutes later it would have just slid off the wheel back into my lap.
Thursday I drove off the ferry, did a delivery and collection of 6 pallets, at the same place, through the back doors. Then drove up to our yard in Scotland. From there I drove another hour in my car, to the A&E (E.R.) of my local hospital. They put me through some tests, a CT scan, an ultrasound of my neck and a chest x-ray. Everything was clear and in decent enough condition for a 62 year old smoker, drinker, biker, trucker who's in fairly good shape. But they confirmed I'd had a stroke. They kept me in hospital for a week, then sent me home.

I'm on a physio exercise programme, and 4 pills a day for life now. A blood thinner, a statin, a high blood pressure reducer and one to protect my stomach.
I don't have high blood pressure or high cholesterol, but a stroke magnifies the effects of these, so to be on the safe side they're insisting on medication.
The stroke has affected my right arm and hand mainly, but I also have slight weakness on the right side of my face and right leg. The physio seems to be working, the worst of it now is the poor dexterity, control and strength in my hand, I'm right handed but do ok with my left. Now I've got the time, I'm going to restart playing my flute (musical instrument). It will hopefully help with the dexterity and control.
In the UK they take your truck licence (CDL) away for a year when you have a stroke. Then the Dept of Transport make you jump through many hoops before they'll let you have it back. I'll be 63 before I can ask for it back. Probably 64 by the time I get it. I was thinking of retiring at 66 before this, that's now a definite. So I'm thinking, is it worth all the grief of getting my licence back, for 2 and a bit more years of driving? I'm going to have to find an alternative job for most of this year in limbo, I can't afford to live on benefits. So I might just stay there until I retire. But, my boss has said my job will still be open in a years time, I've been with him for 15 years and I enjoy the job, sooo. See what I feel like in a years time.
I can't ride my bike just yet either, I don't have the strength in my right hand to operate the front brake, I'm struggling to type this in using my right hand on the right side of my keyboard. However, I still intend to do my Route 66 holiday ride next fall, so I'm not off the bikes just yet, this is hopefully only a blip.

Catch yas later, and hopefully I'll get to catch some of you when I come over to the U.S. next year.

'80 CB 750/900 mongrel Smile 
smurdoch
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's rough, Simon. So sorry to hear.
Nice that your employer is willing to hold your job for a while. Seems loyalty in the workforce is rare these days.
I would certainly start the process of getting your license back. Any sense of returning to normalcy would be a positive.
Guess relearning the flute is better than the drums. Laughing

Steve.

Hondo57
Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hoping your recovery of your hand goes quickly.
Get back to riding as soon as it is safe

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Best wishes to you Simon.

1100russ
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hope you get better soon Simon. Prayers sent.....

XR100 Teaching Bike
SV650 Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
SteveG
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wishing you good luck with your treatment and recovery. I hope your Route 66 trip works out!

Steve

Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hang in there Simon, never give up riding and work you love. It is amazing you got all that done under the circumstances.

genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Best to you Simon.

We don't see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

kiwihonda004
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Keep up the exercise and physio , don't sit around at home and keep InTouch .
We are all getting older and need help and stimulation to keep going.
Good luck with the license as NZ has the same rules for heavy vehicles and I drive one .

Cheers 🥂

Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's good to hear you are back home and recovering recovering in familiar surroundings.
I hope you can ride again soon.

cliffiec
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Simon, glad to hear you are in recovery mode, sir. The offer still stands to ride together next year on you Rt66 ride, in the Albuquerque area, please keep us posted on your progress!

Silence is the best reply to a Fool!

Ever notice that people who think they know everything never shut up? 
FCMike
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

this is where the re-assessment starts, power on Simon

metalganz
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

All the best to you Simon , wish you good recovery and hope you can do your route 66.

Fitter
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

WOW! Your obviously old school and not prone to complaining.
Keep on that physio! Your goal is to get your life back.
Riding Route 66 is the bonus 'living the life' reward.

Wishing you all the best on your journey there!

Simon_CB900
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys.
Yeah, I'm old school. First priority, if you ain't dead, finish the job Very Happy
Complaining is pretty pointless usually, not that I never complain, but I don't make a habit of it.

The physio is coming on, my face and leg are almost completely back to normal, my arm isn't too bad but I shake hands like a limp lettuce. Grip is slightly better than it was a month ago, but not by much which is kinda disappointing. So I reckon I still can't operate a bikes front brake well enough to ride safely. Something I'll have to work on more, obviously.
I've restarted playing my flute. So far I can only manage about 30 minutes, then the fingers of my right hand start to slowly droop back onto the keys when they should be off. I expect that'll improve over time as well.
I drove my car for the first time on Friday, a friend and I went to see a blues band playing at a small music venue about 20 miles away. The Frank O'Hagan band. He played the opening night there about 15 years ago and this was the post Covid Reopening night. It was a great evening, good music and good people Smile

Nothing much else to report, life goes on. On the bright side, I have plenty of time to do all the small stuff Smile

bobcat7
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes the small stuff is more important than you know.

Simon_CB900
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

bobcat7 wrote:
Sometimes the small stuff is more important than you know.

I can't figure out how I managed to find time to work for a living now Shocked Laughing

X7eater
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Keep up physio and daily hand exercises Simon, sounds like you are battler...they breed em tough up North right!!!

Maybe you could get one of them fancy Honda's where the foot brake pedal operates the front and back brake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic