\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,261,541
  • Today: 7,941
Server InfoServer Info
  • Apr 18, 2024
  • 09:28 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello pnbond007 and Victorpeters and anybody else interested?

This is the style that I will be replicating. There are older versions but this one looks easiest to make and looks like it doubles as a decent fork brace.
I hope it's the one that you guys like? I can make the older design but this one will cost less.

May the force be with me?
Also could Victor and Phil please show me pictures of your forks. Mainly the fender mounts? I believe that Victor is using GL forks? But have no idea what Phil is using. I have CB900 forks, F2 forks, and VF1000R forks to mock up if those help? The 900 forks will be my best option. Also what size of front wheel will you two be using?

I was thinking of sending aluminum spacers like whats on the brace in the picture. I will send them long and you can cut them to length. Also I could make the top, lets call it the fork brace portion a bit long and you can trim to fit if my mock up forks are the wrong ones. That's about the best that I can do without the correct parts here on hand.
I do have a 79 front fender, an 18" front wheel, 19", 17" or 16" to mock up and get the fit as close as I can. The fender in this picture looks like they remolded the fendefr to fit the 16" tire? That's up to you if you want it to be that close.

Peace, Jim

Last edited by JJam on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total 
JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also if you look close at this picture you will see that the fork brace portion is a Two piece part. I can either make it JUST like this? Or I can make it in one piece out of thicker aluminum and a bit different?
Price will be accordingly to the amount of pieces and time spent.

I prefer to make it just the same as the real deal.

JJAM

pnbond007
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Jim

Loving the design idea, just hope it sits within my legs etc

Mine has the GSXR front end with 17" wheel, see picture attached. Not sure what challenges this may create. Let me know if you need anything further regarding dimensions etc.

PLEASE IGNORE THE VISUAL BUILD, ITS HOW THE CHASSIS WAS PURCHASED AND SOON TO BE BUTCHERED Wink

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok it looks like all 3 that I plan to build will be one offs as like I said I believe that Victor is using GL forks, I'm using F2 forks and yours are USD.

I will need the OD of you fork outers. I will want the measurement from the OD of the seal pockets as I believe this is the only part of them that doesn't have a taper. I will also need to know the ID width of the forks to get the spacing correct.

Lots of thinking to do on my end Shocked but I think that I have it figured out?

Thanks Phil, Jim

Shawn_Mc
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

JJ, how do you mount anything to the fork outers on the GXR USD fork and have it not hit the front wheel?

I think you need to pick up the brake stay mounting bolts or maybe that mounting boss on the front side too on the axle mounts.

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Shawn_Mc wrote:
JJ, how do you mount anything to the fork outers on the GXR USD fork and have it not hit the front wheel?

I think you need to pick up the brake stay mounting bolts or maybe that mounting boss on the front side too on the axle mounts.

True Shawn, I had my head up my ASS! Rolling Eyes

I would have seen my error as soon as I thought about it a bit more.

Thanks though, I need all the help I can get.

Phil we have some discussing to do. You may have to come up with the lower part of this set up on your side of the pond?

I will study your forks and see if I can see it?

Peace, Jim

mwe
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

for what its worth (not much I know) if i were going to mess aound with building another front fender for a usd fork ( I have 19" front spokes so any stock usd fender has a different radius would have looked goofy)...
...I would take the stock fender for the usd fork in question and basically cut out the radius on the stock fender (leaving 3 pieces)...do the same with whatever donor fender is desired for the look and radius and somehow sandwich the old and the new bonding either with plastic welding or fiberglass or expoy etc.
the only issue is it will not likely look like spencers bike but then again it never was with the usd forks. Another option might be to get the metal reinforcing strap that is under the stock (at least stck cb750k) fender that spans the interior arch of the fender to connect the brackets. You could mount this or somehting like this the underside of the fender and connect it to each fork leg with a series of bent aluminum rod.

freddie19
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Jim,

I'd be really interested in one of your AHM braces for my bike as long as you dont mind shipping to the UK?

I've got Yamaha FZ750 forks with the same kind of fender mounting lugs as on the Factory Showa forks so that
should make fitment easier.
I'm running a 17" front wheel.
I can give you all the necessary measurements.

At the moment I'm looking at fitting a modified FZS600 Fazer fender but I would much prefer the original
79 Honda fender.

I thought that the AHM brace in your picture was the early version, its the same as fitted to Spencer's Daytona Superbike at the start of the 1982 season.
I have pictures of the later type and it looks a lot simpler in design.

I always wondered where Honda got that later fender from as I dont recognize it from any bike of the time,
I think you are right and they may have made it specially for the bike, seems a bit over the top as it was only
used for about half a season.
Guess someone at Honda didn't like the look of the oversized 19" 79 fender with the 16" wheel.

Here's a pic of my bike so you can see the fender mountings.

Freddie19.

victorpeters1974
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Jim, as you see on the picture my brackets are located higher than on the works forks. I'll measure it all up for you when I'm back in town.
You can alter the fender radius by pulling on the sides. It also makes it wider to fit a wider tire.

Regards
Victor

pnbond007
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Jim

Well given the complexity of my front end it might be worthwhile looking at mounting via the already in place fender mounts down each side, and as someone has already pointed out, the bike never used USD versions so cant be authentic from that standpoint.

My initial thoughts were to go as close as possible to the real deal, my plans quickly changed realising that this is not going to be possible, so my plans are now to build a personal version based upon the original Spencer ride with a little of todays gear included.

One thing for sure, a front fender or fork leg design is not going to alter my plans for the build, neither will the rear arm as this will be changed as I get further on down the line, what I will guarantee guys, is that the machine I'm building is going to be one hell of a 'one off build' carrying my own personal touch, all put together with a little help from a chosen few such as Jim & Captain etc etc.

Jim, do let me know what you think regarding the fender mounts from your perspective.

The dimensions I have are as follows:
At the point request above the seal = 60mm, the distance between the wheel rim is a good 20mm, the tyre's edge is 15mm. width between legs at the requested measuring point is 150mm, this I need to confirm once wheel is out. I'm pretty sure that there is enough room to produce a slim clamp to secure to each leg, thus being able to mount from those points there on.

Happy new year all
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Freddie19, This is the other style that I have seen and even though it is just 2 pieces. It looks all to be pressed to
form it. That is not really in my realm to recreate.

I had thought that it was on the #19 bike but I now see that I am wrong. It happens.
This style would take lots of coin to make the die to press it in. IMO

As far as reshaping the 79 fender. That's up to the owner of the bike. I'm not skilled in the fiberglass arena yet.

Victor we will talk in an email with your dimensions after the 7th when you get back.

Phil I haven't had the time today to study your forks. I need to try and make these so that my base sizes will be close to all and just get final fitment by the installer. I may be able to do it all without the parts on hand but it makes me nervous. We will see?
This may be a tougher assignment then I originally thought? I like challenges. Cool

Peace, Jim

pnbond007
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Jim

Don't get too stressed about the mount, looking at what I have it kinda looks fairly simple to mount a clamp type bracket around the leg in the area you mention. A small clamp that surrounds the leg with uprights to mount from would be the way to go, only needs to be a very light version as the fenders are far from being heavy.

I will borrow the calipers from work this weekend and give you some firm measurements.....

If you can picture the fork brace type fixing on the early stuff I'm pretty sure one could be made to fit each leg then a cross over to support the fender.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1978-GL1000-MARKLAND-FORK-BRACE-STABILIZER-HONDA-GL-1000-GOLD-WING-78-/181245608508?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3314823c

I'm just trying to ease your pain Wink

mwe
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think you missed the point of Shawn's comment above regarding your usd forks. It is unlikely you will be able to mount the fender with a clamp on the fork legs. Go back out to the garage and think about it...if the fender were mounted to the fork leg...the wheel would come up and hit the fender since te feder would not be moving.

pnbond007
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

mwe wrote:
I think you missed the point of Shawn's comment above regarding your usd forks. It is unlikely you will be able to mount the fender with a clamp on the fork legs. Go back out to the garage and think about it...if the fender were mounted to the fork leg...the wheel would come up and hit the fender since te feder would not be moving.

Yes, what a stupid oversight on my behalf.......

Looks like its a no go on these forks Jim Crying or Very sad

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

pnbond007 wrote:
mwe wrote:

Ya I missed this at first also. Then Shawn slapped me in the face and said wake up man. Laughing

It can be made and I can see it but the brace part will be solely for looks. The fender brace will still work.
Don't loose the faith.

Peace, Jim

freddie19
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

JJam wrote:
Freddie19, This is the other style that I have seen and even though it is just 2 pieces. It looks all to be pressed to

I had thought that it was on the #19 bike but I now see that I am wrong. It happens.

This may be a tougher assignment then I originally thought? I like challenges. Cool

Peace, Jim

Hi Jim,

yeah that's the later brace I was talking about.
you are right, although it looks a simpler design it looks like it was stamped out on a jig.

I notice with this brace they also trimmed off the rear of the 79 original Honda fender.

To be honest I prefer the look of the original brace, looks far more substantial and trick.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Freddie19.

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

freddie19 wrote:
JJam wrote:

Peace, Jim

Hi Jim,

yeah that's the later brace I was talking about.
you are right, although it looks a simpler design it looks like it was stamped out on a jig.

I notice with this brace they also trimmed off the rear of the 79 original Honda fender.

To be honest I prefer the look of the original brace, looks far more substantial and trick.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Freddie19.

Thank you for the other angle. This I can replicate.

The fender brace still looks like it was pressed to fit but I'm pretty sure that I can come close enough that you won't know
the difference. Wish me luck as it's what's up on the bench for tomorrow.

Peace, Jim

freddie19
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi jim,

this is the best shot I've got to show the construction of the brace.

The fork brace is just a flat piece of ally plate.

The fender bracket looks like a flat piece of ally plate folded front and back and welded on the curved edges
to another curved piece of ally plate.
This is then screwed or riveted to the fender.

The fork brace is then bolted to the fender bracket through four ally spacers.

I think thats how it goes from what I can work out!

I agree with you, the forward fender brace looks like its stamped out on a jig!

Hope this helps, good luck.

Freddie19.

pnbond007
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

JJam wrote:
pnbond007 wrote:
mwe wrote:

Ya I missed this at first also. Then Shawn slapped me in the face and said wake up man. Laughing

It can be made and I can see it but the brace part will be solely for looks. The fender brace will still work.
Don't loose the faith.

Peace, Jim

Ok, I will await further from you Jim

bobcat7
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

USD forks aren't authentic for a Spencer replica. why
worry about an authentic brace ?

pnbond007
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

bobcat7 wrote:
USD forks aren't authentic for a Spencer replica. why
worry about an authentic brace ?

Simple, its my choice, do you not think I already know this Rolling Eyes

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As you can see the braces came in many different styles.

In this picture you can see that the fork brace portion is thicker and made with an angle cut to step the height down.
Its the piece that bolt to the fork itself.
Is it just the shadow from the top fender brace portion????

Then when I look at this picture you can see that this one is flat and one thickness all the way across.

Either way I'm going with the second picture. Much easier to replicate.

Just another 2cent of my thoughts.

Peace, Jim

freddie19
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JJam wrote:
As you can see the braces came in many different styles.

In this picture you can see that the fork brace portion is thicker and made with an angle cut to step the height down.
Its the piece that bolt to the fork itself.
Is it just the shadow from the top fender brace portion????

Either way I'm going with the second picture. Much easier to replicate.

Just another 2cent of my thoughts.

Peace, Jim

Hi Jim,

it is just the shadow from the top fender brace portion.

The fork brace is just a flat piece of ally connecting both fork legs through the spacers
bolted to the fork leg lugs.

If you look closely you can see the spacer
between the fork brace and the fender bracket.

It is clearer to see from the rear in this shot I posted.

Freddie19.

Captain
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since I have this very Showa front end I'll be needing this to mount our fender.

You interested in doing one just the same as the second picture for me?

No pressure about it as it will be a while before I will be installing the forks (off season) but as you are making the special AHM triple clamps sets already, it may be the right time.

Captain

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'm well into this project after today and will go Monday to a buddies shop and use his brake to fab the top portion of this set up.
I am mocking it up on a set of 900 forks and it should be able to be used on any forks with a little fabing on the buyers end. We will see?

Brent this sound great. Any parts that I can have on your bike will help me out!! We will talk and I can get some measurements from you. That way it will be a direct bolt on to your bike.

BTW the triple clamps are at the machinist's shop and waiting for his price and time line. I told him your deadline and we believe they will be done on time.

Peace, Jim

freddie19
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jim,

I've done a sketch of my take on the Fork Brace fabrication.
Sorry it's a bit faint but it's in pencil.

The fork brace is fitted inside and below the fender bracket
and attached by bolts through the four spacers.

Its difficult to explain but I hope you get the picture.

Here's one of my favourite pic's of Freddie's Superbike from MCN here in the UK back in March 82,
you can tell how old it is by the yellowing!!
I'd love to find the original colour shot.

I know it's not that clear but if you look closely you can see the make-up of the fork brace.

Freddie19.

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I nailed the fender!!!! Shocked Very Happy It's just sitting on a 17" tire and my curve is better then the AHM one IMO. I need another 79 fender and I will try it on a 16" wheel for the purest Freddie fanatic. This is not located in it's correct spot. Just showing what I can do for you.

If you need your fender re-curved? Mail it and I can set you up. $30.00 plus shipping.

Peace, JJAM

stoprunner
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Jim,

Are you planning in doing a few more? I'm interested in one (First pict version) I'll be running an18 inch wheel in the front with GL forks. Let me know if there is space for one more. Thanks

Miguel

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Miguel,
yes I plan to make a coup[le extras but I need to get the first one done so that I can figure a cost. Then I will take orders. I will go get the material tomorrow and get back on this project.

Peace, Jim

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Taking longer then expected. My sheet metal buddy is in Mexico so I couldn't use his brake. I had to spend a couple days and beef mine up to the task.

This set is made to fit CB900 forks and will get modified before the final product. I have an idea to make these fit most all forks regardless of where or any fender mounts. The design will be next but the top parts will stay the same on all. This still needs some fine tuning.

Here is what I have so far. Very Happy

For CB900 forks I will be using taller angle so that the spacers are not so long. I don't like the look of long spacers.
My finger shows approx. where the new angle will end. If that made sense?

Peace, JJAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic